Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

An out of control 19 year daughter has quit her new college

Customer Question

An out of control 19 year daughter has quit her new college after being kicked out of another college for failing 3 years in arrow. Cought shop lifting and charged then violated her parol because she failed the drug test. Has run away from home and quit her par time job. There is a family traditional weekend get together . Should she be allowed to attend .The day After we return from the weekend she will go to court again for failing drug test
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon and thank you for reaching out for assistance. I'm sorry to hear your daughter is struggling. She truly feels lost. I do believe staying as close to family as possible is going to be key to helping return to a grounded place. I do, however, believe a series of rules/expectations should be set in stone in advance such as what events she is expected to attend/participate in, what curfew she is expected to maintain, what her role is to other family members and so on. I'm curious, though, is this an event she is eager to attend? Has she attended in the past? Have there been any past incidences?