Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

My husband is so stressed. He's almost 62 and the company he

Customer Question

My husband is so stressed. He's almost 62 and the company he has worked at for 20 years is going out of business. He is scared about basic survival.
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: I have MS and am disabled. We have 2 teenage sons. My husband has been at a financial firm for 20 years and they are going out of business due to poor management. The CEO is not giving anyone more than one month of severance. My husband feels very betrayed by a man whom he trusted. I don't know how to help him!
JA: Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?
Customer: his father died when he was five. His mother worked in a supermarket to support him and his sister.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for reaching out to Just answer with your concerns regarding your husbands employment crisis. First, let me say that your husband is very fortunate to have you in his life, your concern and desire to give him emotional and mental support is apparent and honestly, as horrible as this is it may be a time for the two of you to re-evaluate the next 1-3 years in a way you would not have been able to before this. As his wife, he is going to need you to stay calm, try hard not to react to his stress or your own worries. As much as possible keep the rhythm of your lives constant and in routine (the mind/psyche responds well to stability when everything else seems out of control). Suggest that just the two of you go for a drive or a walk, whatever works for you both, and let him just vent...., his concerns, fears, his self doubts, insecurities, anger, etc. Try not to feel like you have to come up with answers, solutions or fix it for him. He will just need to vent and the more he externalizes his feelings the better for him mentally and emotionally. Many, many people have lost their jobs in the last 10 years due to down sizing, etc than ever before and recently I heard a statistic that currently more than 50% of all people own their own business or work for themselves. That shows a tremendous shift in the culture and I want you to know that there is a program at Unemployment that is funded by the federal government that helps people to start their own businesses. Unemployment also has very good counselors to help people find equally as good if not in some cases better jobs than before. Brainstorm ideas with him, be his anchor through all of this. and most importantly of all take really good care of yourself. If he feels this is effecting you negatively he will feel even more guilt/shame that this has happened. As a therapist , I know that these personal crisis can often be a turning point for positive change in a persons life. Please let me know if you have any more questions, I am here for you and wish only the best for your family. sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC