Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My son has no respite from number rituals ,he counts

Customer Question

Hi,my son has no respite from number rituals ,he counts everything sometimes in the thousands. E.g. he counts how many breaths he takes ,how many chews ,how many letters in words.He has a lot of bad numbers.His brain is taken over by this and cannot take medication because the pills have numbers on. Cbt hasn't helped. Iwould be grateful for any suggestions.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidit sounds like he has bad OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder which is a form of anxiety disorder. you should ask his pharmacist to see if they can file down the numbers on the pills like fluoxetine or paroxetine or sertralinewhich could help him over time to decrease some of his anxiety OCD symptoms.or you can grind up those pills into powders and mix it into ice cream or apple sauce for him to you think you could do that for him to take?