Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am 30, i have BPD. Everyday functioning is fine. Can

Customer Question

i am 30, i have BPD.
Everyday functioning is fine.
Can maintain friendships, work full time.
But, i cannot keep a partner.
Ive been struggling with drug addiction, never touched drugs until the last 6 months.
Im worsening with age, my healthcare providers are difficult to reach as i work similar hours to them.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, have you considered undergoing therapy to help you with romantic relationships?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello,
thank you for the reply.
ive seen therapist nearly my whole life.
im trying to see someone who specialises in DBT.
today is just a hard day as ive overdone it with illicits.
im aware this doesnt help, not sure if im doing it to escape or self sabotage...
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
Self-sabotage and escape are probably one in the same with your condition and issues that you briefly described, so try not to necessarily focus on the cause, but instead focus on the treatment. I would recommend DBT therapy when it becomes available to you as this type of therapy is the most beneficial for someone with BPD. In addition, you can also start your own self-study of DBT therapy using this website link: http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is it true, the prognosis for BPD isnt great?
thanks for the resource.
ive found i struggle with self help, get so distracted.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately most people with BPD will typically struggle with this disorder for a majority of their life. Medications and therapy can help, but there is no cure for BPD.