Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I have been having thoughts lately about being sexually

Customer Question

I have been having thoughts lately about being sexually attracted to men. I don't know what to do, I have always been attracted to women, but seem as if the thoughts are getting more intense. I do know it is worse when my anxiety level is higher. Why? I was diagnosed with OCD 3 years back because of these sexually intrusive thoughts, but are they really unwanted I don't know. I need help.....I can't live like this anymore.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for reaching out for help. The reason a person's OCD symptoms intensify during stress/higher levels of anxiety is that OCD is an Anxiety Disorder. Stress, lack of self care, being very tired due to lack of sleep, trauma, crisis, all these and more can intensify symptoms. It is really important when you notice an increase in the UNWANTED or INTRUSIVE thoughts that you re-evaluate how well you are taking care of yourself, the possible need to be evaluated for a medication or the need for a medication adjustment. May I ask have you been getting any treatment from therapy or medication for your symptom of OCD? In terms of your confusion about whether your thoughts are wanted or not, is it acceptable to you to be attracted to men as well as women? This information will help me to know what suggestions to make that may help you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC