Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

I have OCPD and it's destroying my marriage with 3 step boys

Customer Question

I have OCPD and it's destroying my marriage with 3 step boys who are 13. My obsession for picking up after themselves is driving rveryone, including me, insane. There is no peace in our home. Please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer for help with your problem. Treatment for OCPD includes psychotherapy, CBT (cognitive Behavioral Therapy), Behavioral Therapy and or self help work. Medication also may be recommended and prescribed. You already have a really good chance at having successful outcomes with therapy because unlike many with OCPD, you accept and acknowledge that you have this condition and how it effects others. A therapist using one of these methods of therapy will teach you ways of changing these thoughts and compulsions into much healthier, productive thoughts and behaviors. In addition I would recommend that you look into this workbook that is an excellent self help book that you can do independently and that your wife can learns some things about your Disorder as well; The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. The combination of your own self help work, therapy and possibly medication should help you with your symptoms significantly. Please, do you have any other questions I can help you with? I want to say that I have a lot of respect for the fact that you are reaching out and want o do something to make your symptoms and quality of life better for you and your family. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC