Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have a 24 year old son that just finished college. He had

Customer Question

I have a 24 year old son that just finished college. He had a bad breakup with the love of his life 2 years ago and he has never been the same. He has always like girls and been consider a player in school. He was loved by his classmates and piers and had a great home life. When he went off to college at first he hated it but meet this girl and he dated her for three years she was a year older than him. It end his Senior year and he begged to come home it took us two years to push him through finishing his degree. In the past 2 years he has went through the woman I have lost count but I know if is over 35 girls. Recent we found out he was seeing a woman 44 years old with 4 children one still living at home. She has a terrible pass and we were very upset about him seeing her. He has now been living with her disown his family and has quit his job that is our family business that would later be taken over by him. I just don't understand we really are a good family and he has everything going for him what would make him choice this and leave his home, family, and his future for a woman that is 20 years older than him. Its like she has brain washed him, what can I do? Help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having this difficulty with your son, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Unfortunately there is a very limited degree of what you can do besides voicing your opinion to him and telling him how you would like to reconnect with him. You have to understand that only he is the one in control of his actions and choices, just like you are the only one in control of your actions. You can say everything right and perfect, but in the end the choice to try to reconnect with you and other family members is up to him alone. As of right now, I would suggest that you focus on what you can control, which is your own lives and give your son space. So far you have told him what you think and that you want to reconnect with him...now the choice is up to him to do that. I know this is difficult, but pushing the issue with him will only drive him away more, you have to allow him to come to you when he is ready.