Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

I am afraid to go out of the house. I didn't go

Customer Question

Hello :),
I am afraid to go out of the house. I didn't go out for two weeks. I'm afraid I might get blackouts and loose touch with reality if I go out. What is happening with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon, I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling. It sounds like you are experiencing extreme anxiety...specifically agoraphobic symptoms. It might be helpful to practice some deep breathing (breathing in through the nose, slowing releasing through the mouth) while taking very small steps toward your ultimate goal (leaving the house). Perhaps allow yourself to stand in front of the front door with it open while doing deep breathing. Once you do this and realize you are fully present/aware, put one foot on the front doorstep and so check in again. Gradually doing this over a couple of days would certainly be helpful.
Good evening, I just wanted to check in and see how you are feeling today and wanted to pass along a link to some solid grounding techniques that I believe will be helpful: http://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/treatinganxiety/2010/09/top-21-anxiety-grounding-techniques/