Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

My step daughter is a drug addict. She's 20 years old and she's

Customer Question

My step daughter is a drug addict. She's 20 years old and she's been using since high school. Her drug of choice is heroine. She's been in s rehab facility, Galax of Virginia. But no change and it seems as though she's going back tomorrow. We don't know how to help her.
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: She's tried to kill herself, I think by overdosing. I'm not sure of the rest. We live in Ga and my step daughter lives in New York with her mom. So we get 2nd news.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry to hear about your step-daughter's addiction issues, I can understand why you are concerned for her. Rehabilitation facilities can be effective as long as they address both the addiction and the underlying cause of the addiction (e.g. depression, anxiety, etc...). This is called Dual Diagnosis therapy and I would definitely recommend this for her. In addition, given her addiction to heroin I would also recommend that she see a psychiatrist for Suboxone treatment as well, since this can lessen her physical addiction to the heroin and it increases the chance of dual diagnosis therapy to be a success.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your response, she's addicted to heroine. Tried to commit suicide and suffers from panic attacks. We as a family are looking for a facility that would her and accepts tricare prime. Can you recommend a facility like that?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
Silver Hill Hospital in Connecticut accepts Tricare insurance and is a very respectable non-profit inpatient treatment center for addictions and dual diagnosis treatment.