Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I have been struggling with depression, rumination/obsessive

Customer Question

Hi! I have been struggling with depression, rumination/obsessive thoughts for a few years now. I did take Paxil for a year and it was somewhat helpful with the feelings, but not the thoughts. I am seeing a psychologist and that is going well. However, I am at point where it seems that the conclusion is that "this is who I am" which I'm not sure I agree with because I was happier before this episode.
Anyway - my specific question relates to a "cycle" I have observed over the years. It has been very consistent.
I go to bed and to sleep with no problems.
However, I have vivid dreams that are somewhat disturbing and typically wake up once in the early morning hours feeling upset. I go back to sleep but then wake up very early - between 4 and 6 feeling depressed.
This feeling carries throughout the day and is relatively mild, but is like a dark cloud.
This is the weird part - as the day progresses, I feel gradually better. VERY gradually.
Then - at about 6 or 7 pm I feel 100% fine. The depression seems completely gone, The thoughts do not bother me.
This has been a pattern for nearly 3 years.
My psychologist says that it's "who I am" and my regular doctor suggests melatonin - which doesn't seem to help much at all.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will not accept an answer from anyone who does not have a solid background in psychopharmacology.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 months ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.I am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.Kindly answer a few queries.1) Do you have feel freshness after you wake up in the morning or do you feel tired all day ?2) How do you respond to a good or positive news that you get in the morning which is the time you are not feeling overtly happy ? Do you become happy in response to the good news or does it make no impact on your morose self ?3) Do you feel heavy limbs and sluggishness during the day ?I shall get back to you once you reply to the queries.Regards