Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I ate a sandwich yesterday and was enjoying it until I bit

Customer Question

I ate a sandwich yesterday and was enjoying it until I bit down on a long hair. After being totally disgusted, I threw away the hair but tried to not let it bother me and kept eating. After I finished I started thinking, what if that person didn't wash their hair, they had lice, etc? It doesn't help that I have a long history of ocd but I can't get this hair thing out of my head. Can you help? Could I get a disease?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 6 months ago.

There is not a single infectious disease one could get from a hair in your sandwich. Nothing. Zero.

Nothing to worry about

Please provide a rating if this answers your question.

Does that answer your question?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

If you have more questions or anything else that you would like to discuss, please let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've dealt with OCD for a very long time especially with contamination fears. With scenarios like this I have "brain lock" thinking I'll be dealing with it forever. I have a great life but things like this put me into kind of a tail spin. The worse thing I could find on the internet was the following but I feel like I'm not getting the "whole truth":It's possible that staph bacteria, which can upset the stomach and bring on a case of diarrhea, could hitch a ride on a strand. But it's very unlikely, Colavincenzo says, that the tiny amount of staph that can hide on a hair or two is enough to lead to gastrointestinal problems.Just need a little persecutive? Can you help?

The risk even of any bacteria is minimal.

You are correct your owrries are mainly psychological

But I can reassure you that medically, there is no realistic risk of infectious disease

If you have no further questions, please provide an answer rating to acknowledge you have had your question answered

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I see that your expert has opted out and is no longer available. How can I be of further assistance?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Actually, no- his expert has not opted out- and is still waiting for a reply

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want a Psychiatrist to answer my question. Thanks

Do you want the psychiatrist to answer your OCD concerns?

Or to discuss the actual medical risk of infection from the exposure you describe?

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and i will like to offer my help to solve your query.

I can understand that you are extremely distressed and obsessing over the fact that you almost ate hair. Well, first of all please let me know if you are currently taking any medications or therapy ? Secondly, what sort of distraction tactics have you tried so far if at all ?

I shall get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards