Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Is it legal or appropriate to give and 84 year old with Al.zhimers

Customer Question

Is it legal or appropriate to give and 84 year old with Al.zhimers and who cannot walk or stand up Depakoet 250 Mg 2 x a day to prevent them from trying to stand up since the medication has a lot of bad side effects.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I cannot speak for the specific legality of this issue, like what laws the doctor would or could be breaking, since I am not a lawyer, but I can tell you that it would be highly unethical to give Depakote to a patient just to prevent them from standing up or walking as that is not the intent of the medication nor does it benefit the patient's quality of life. Given that this would most likely be unethical, it would open up the physician to negligence and possible malpractice law suits. So as a mental health professional, I can tell you that this would be unethical and could open him/her up to malpractice civil law suits and possible criminal legal action as well, but as for what specific laws the doctor may be breaking I would not know and it would be best to talk to a lawyer about that.