Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I know a 56 year old woman who recently her personality changed.

Customer Question

I know a 56 year old woman who recently her personality changed. She is acting very irrational and is not dealing with realty. 6 years ago she was a alcoholic. I know you do not have much information, but could it be menopause, her drinking again, drugs, or mid life crisis.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Menopause can account for mood disorders that can appear to cause personality changes for some people. In addition, there could be environmental factors as well that can account for her behavioral and personality changes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know you do not have a lot of information. She was married for 15 years. Her husband never lied to her or cheated on her. He got her everything she wanted. He told her she was beautiful every day. She recently filed for divorce against him and hates him. She has a 13 year old boy who was everything to her. Now, she hardly spends time with him. She did not go to her grand daughter's birthday party. What do you think could be a major factor the menopause?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
I cannot make any conclusions without a face to face assessment, but the only way to confirm if the menopause is the cause would be to rule out other environmental causes for psychological behavioral change and to determine if there are any physical symptoms of said menopause such as abnormal hormone levels, hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, and change in sex drive.