Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I believe I may have obsessive compulsive disorder. Ever since

Customer Question

I believe I may have obsessive compulsive disorder. Ever since I was a little kid (even in family videos we have) I have done things like wash my hands all the time (until they bleed) or clean my mouth, or pick at my nails/skin, pull hair out, etc. Not only that, but I can't stand for chairs to not be pushed in, blinds (you know, that cover windows) not to be even, and seeing little strips of paper/trash/anything in the middle of a table or floor makes me sick to my stomach. I can't touch most objects (things like the cord of my computer, towels other people have used, my own shoes, even my own hair/skin sometimes, etc) because it all disgusts me so much. I constantly think my friends and people in general hate me, and I am constantly anxious and seeking validation from them. I honestly feel so scared and alone, and in my current financial situation/location, I am unable to consult a psychiatrist in real life. I need to feel like I'm not crazy. Do I have obsessive compulsive disorder? And if I do, how should I proceed?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. While I cannot diagnose you officially without a face to face assessment, your description of your symptoms do tend to be related to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). The best form of treatment would be a combination of a SSRI antidepressant, as these are routinely used to treat OCD, and a combination of therapy with a psychologist/therapist involving Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP). The treatment is long-term and usually a full resolution of one's OCD takes around 9-18 months.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think this place was right for me.