Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Nortriptyline is the only med I have ever taken that allowed

Customer Question

Nortriptyline is the only med I have ever taken that allowed me to completely relax my mind . I am disabled permanently due to depression and have never felt relief until given nortriptyline. After taking for a couple weeks I started having anger issues which I have never had before. Terrible anger, where I just wanted to scream and throw things. Is there a drug I can take with the nortriptyline to combat the anger because I am 47 years old and have tried everything from ketamine infusion to 60 sessions of TMS besides all of the normal depression treatment. I know it seems strange to say the drug that made me angry made me also feel better that I ever have before, but I has this complete relaxation of my mind and I could see all of the beautiful things in the world that I can't ever focus on because every minute of my life is spent on thinking about what I need to do next or what I haven't done. I can't even sit a watch a movie because in order to feel I am a valuable person in any sense I have to feel each day like I have accomplished everything that I should have. I have no enjoyment in my life whatsoever.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just want to know if perhaps another tricyclic drug might help me without the anger problems the nortriptyline gave me? The other thought was that maybe adding another drug to the nortriptyline might stop the anger. All of my life I have been given antidepressants and I don't believe anyone has ever given me a tricyclic antidepressant. I thought maybe that was the difference . I've never felt total calmness and freedom from anxiety before. I felt like I could just enjoy my day and I wasn't worried about anything.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
08 May 2016 09:59
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response. What is your current daily dose of the Nortriptyline?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
25 mg
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. You are taking a low dose of the Nortriptyline so there are a couple schools of thought here...1)It is possible that current dose of the Nortriptyline is not enough and what you are experiencing in terms of anger/irritability, may be your symptoms of depression and anxiety manifesting, so some doctors would recommend trying to increase the dose to 50mg (the maximum dose is 150mg). 2) Your doctor could add either Risperdal, Lamictal, or Mirtazapine to your current Nortriptyline dose. Risperdal is an atypical antipsychotic medication that is regularly used to treat anger, irritability, and aggression so this may work for you. Lamictal is a mood stabilizer that has shown to be very effective in treating depressive symptoms and may give you the extra boost with the Nortriptyline to help. And the Mirtazapine is an atypical serotonin antidepressant that has shown to be very effective in lessening depressive and anger symptoms. 3) Your doctor can switch you from the Nortriptyline to Amitriptyline, as these medications are very similar and the Amitriptyline may not cause any anger issues
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks so much
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
You are most welcome. I wish you all the best with your continued treatment *Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.