Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My 23 year old son is depressed. he says he knows he needs

Customer Question

my 23 year old son is depressed. he says he knows he needs to do: find a job etc. but he just can't. i know he smokes weed and have spoken to him about how this is a contributing factor... i asked him to try and go 30 days without it. he said he will when his current prescription runs out. what can i do?
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: What Psychologist?
JA: When you start doubting if you are seeing the world in the same way as everyone else it's time to talk to out Expert - or go live on a desert island. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 months ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site. resurrectedI am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your queryWell it is really unfortunate that you son has been entangled into the vicious cycle of depression and it could in itself be contributing to his addiction to weed which is quite contrary to your belief that it is the other way round. You see weed smoking must have been providing him a transient escape from his depressed and morose mindset and therefore this pattern has stuck with him for so many days , merely because he is reluctant to take on depression head on and hence is choosing weed as a way out of this problem, not realising that this is his illusion that this sort of strategy will bail him out, as what he needs is proper drug regime along with proper counseling to battle his depression. Once his depression is substantially managed then i do not think he will feel the need to abuse weed.So i will suggest you that you first get his depression adequately treated from a psychiatrist who may like to start him on a drug regime comprising of an anti depressant with or without mood stabilizer and alongside this, specialized counseling such as CBT ( Cognitive Behavior Therapy) will help him to learn coping skills to fight off depression and to manage stressful situations and also to please try to channelise your energy to find a psychiatrist so that he is started on control his impulses for doing weed. So please channelise your energy in finding a psychiatrist who shall start him on a formidable drug regime and mentioned therapy as soon as possible so that positive results will be there for you to see , provided if all of this is done in a timely manner, otherwise there is a risk attached that the depression may become worse and it will have even stronger affect on his weed addiction.I hope this helps.Wish you all the best and wish your son a speedy recovery. I shall keep him in my prayers.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied witThe answer. Regards