Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Mother insists on calling me eveyday complaining

Customer Question

Mother insists on calling me eveyday for years complaining about the same things, and wants me to visit with her 2 or 3 times a week.
She is 89, I work in my own business and don't have the time, and can't take listening to her complain about the same things, people don't call her, they don't do things with her, she lives in a retirement community and refuses to get involved in any senior programs.8
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I experience much stress, anxiety and frustration dealing with her, as many others have also told me regarding dealing with this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has always had an extremely self centered attitude.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would akso like to know why she is this way, and how to deal with it
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
I understand that it would cause you stress given the situation and the best thing for you to do is not to enable your mother and instead tell her that you can only call during a set schedule so as to not overwhelm you or over-burden you. You may not be able to stop her from complaining, but if you can compromise and at least knock it down to once a week that may be something you can live with as that will lessen your stress considerably. I cannot tell you why your mother is like this as I have never evaluated her face to face; it could be part of an existing disorder she has had most of her life or it could be something she developed as she got older as behavioral changes in the elderly are common.