Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have barely slept past 2 days. I took 10 mg of Ambien

Customer Question

I have barely slept for the past 2 days. I took 10 mg of Ambien last night, but it only worked for 1.5 hours. I seldom take sleeping pills (just when I hit a bad stretch, like now). Should I call my Dr to see if he can substitute something else? I just want to break this cycle, and then get off the medication.
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 months ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.I am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your problem.Well, yes it does seem like your insomnia is worsening and it may become chronic if soon a change in the drug regime is not brought about since it looks like ambien has lost its edge in managing lack of sleep and therefore you need something more substantial of a sleep aid drug to break this vicious cycle of insomnia and to establish normal sleep- wake pattern.Hence i will encourage and support your decision to seek help from your doctor as soon as possible and seek prescription of a potentially better sleep aid medication such as remeron ( mirtazapine ) at dose of 15 mg at bedtime or Desyrel ( trazodone ) at dose of 25 mg at bedtime. You see either of these medications are fully capable of breaking is cycle of lack of sleep and establishing a refreshing sleep wake cycle. Both of them are actually anti depressants but with solid sedative effects hence they are also used for insomnia. Kindly discuss these two options with your doctor and consider taking the chosen drug out of these two for at least 3 weeks.I hope this helps. Wish you all the best. Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards