Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

Im looking reputable residential treatment facility for

Customer Question

Im looking for a reputable residential treatment facility for my daughter who has complex ptsd and an eating disorder.
JA: OK. The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: what do you need to know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: Inital trauma as teen, bullying/harassment had depression and ptsd dx. Had been in therapeutic boarding school and had therapy. "Went to college, no therapy during then graduated. Had some repeated traumas and ptsd not contained. Developed bulemia and has been in PHP but now they realize the complex PTSD needs to be addressed as a focus. would likea strong DBT program but also with eating disorder branch.
JA: When you start doubting if you are seeing the world in the same way as everyone else it's time to talk to out Expert - or go live on a desert island. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in New York State. Thank you for using Just Answer, I will do my best to find a residential treatment facility for your daughter to meet her PTSD as well as bulimia. Could you please tell me where you live and what age she is. Until recently I was the Clinical Treatment Director for residential treatment for adolescents with an eating disorder component in Rochester, New York. The primary focus for my facilities was drug/alcohol. As you ma already know there are very few facilities for eating disorders (most if not all models would be trauma informed since that is a common component of ED) but I will see what I can find. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Linda,My daughter is 24 yo and we live in the San Francisco Bay Area. She is struggling with the decision to go to residential and I think someplace geographically in the western half of the US is more palatable. I see many places listed but I don't know how to verify it is a reputable program, etc.
Suggestions have been Clearview in Los Angeles, Castlewood in Missouri, and Sierra Tucson in Arizona. Her therapists highly suggest strong DBT program. She has not had any training in DBT as yet. They want the facility to have an eating disorder piece so they understand the red flags of when she is restricting, etc.
Expert:  Linda D. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** going to do some research on the clinical philosophy and treatment services of these three facilities and get back to you. I do agree with a trauma informed DBT program for her and yes, they would have to be able to supervise her eating disorder because expectedly the therapeutic work she would be doing would trigger her need to control and or restrict food. I will return as soon as possible. Linda
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I will wait to hear from you.
Expert:  Linda D. replied 7 months ago.
I researched all three programs and actually communicated with the Sierra Tucson in Arizona which is my first choice for a recommendation. They have a strong DBT model and can treat her PTSD/Eating disorders. They are a co-ed program, I am not sure if that makes a difference. In this organization I believe she will be primarily with peers who are struggling with the same issues which is very important. The program in LA is for women only and is one residential setting but she will be with women who are also there for drug/alcohol dependency and other mental health issues. Based on my professional experience this could be a difficult population for her to cohabitate with while doing her own work, since there can be a tendency for acting out, etc. while getting clean/sober. The facility in Castlewood did not impress me as much as the Sierra Tucson facility, more business oriented and seemed less person centered. I hope this helps. I have spent my entire career developing residential options for individuals for NYS and really feel it is important to pick an organization that seeks to make a difference in the persons life journey and runs well as a business. Of course, it will be important to find out which facility takes your insurance, etc. The contact I spoke to at Sierra Tucson is Miguel at(###) ###-#### ***** hope this helps. I wish your daughter and your family all the best. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help y0ou with. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASACPS I would appreciate you taking a moment to rate my service to you as well. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Linda D. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, i am wondering if you and your daughter have made any progress toward making a decision for treatment for her. I hope the information I provided was helpful to you. Please let me know if I can help any further. I would like to ask if you could take a moment to rate my service to you, this is the only way we are compensated at JA for our time helping you. I would truly appreciate it. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC