Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I actually do have a question regarding the article here..

Customer Question

Hi.. I actually do have a question regarding the article here.. Are you available to take a question?
JA: No. I'm the Psychologist's Assistant.
Customer: got cha... Well have an enjoyable day Pearl.
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: Sure. I have a friend (a friend/trainer at the gym I go to).. We went on a date about a year and a half ago where he was extremely forward in every way, ending the date basically telling me that I was 'the one', that he wanted to take me home to meet his parents, start going to church with me.. what not. Anyway, that was our one and only date. I still see him at the gym and talk to him regularly.. only, he doesn't act like any other heterosexual man I've ever known, dated or worked with. I do know that this guy (his name is Greg) was molested/ raped by one of his professors in college, and I know that this kind of thing in men can lead them to 'issues with their sexuality'. I've tried to get my friend help, numerous times, but he won't go along with it. I do know that he Was addicted to cocaine at on point, and now he drinks every night. I feel awful for him, but I just wonder if his odd behavior around me could be a sexual identity crisis. // I appreciate you all taking the time to read this..
JA: Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?
Customer: Not necessarily.. I've just been trying to put my finger on what is going on with this person for the last year and a half.. and today he filled in for my trainer and I was with him for an hour and his behavior towards me reminded me of one of my gay friends. I just wonder if that encounter he had with his professor made him believe he was a homosexual. I know this often happens to Males who are sexually abused by other men.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It would be impossible to determine if this man has any type of sexual identity issue without a face to face assessment. He could have issues with commitment and intimacy because of the past abuse as well; so even though he says he wants you to be the "one" that does not mean he is ready to act on it. In addition, he could have issues with shame, anxiety, etc...that can lead to these issues as well. So at this point there are probably at least a dozen reasons for why he is acting the way he is with you, and only a true face to face assessment would be able to narrow it down for you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I appreciate your response. He's obviously filled with shame, guilt and has some type of social anxiety issues. I just never, until today, thought that the specific odd behavior that I've been picking up on for a year could be a lack of attraction to women. Like I said, I've only experienced this same thing around gay men. //. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
It is possible he may have a sexual identity issue, but like I said there could also be many other causes for his behavior too. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying there is the possibility for other explanations as well and without a face to face evaluation, I cannot determine the exact cause of his behavior.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Since we are on the phone, a face to face is not possible.. We are simply speculating here. I do believe I've hit on something-.. // have a good day Doc., and thanks for the 'answer'. ;)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please end this session and stop charging my debit card for the non answer. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
I believe there is only one charge for the entire Q&A session, but experts have no access to the financial dealings on this website, so if you have a concern about that I would recommend you contact customer service. Thank you and have a pleasant rest of your day