Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Last 5 years of my life, my mental health has not

Customer Question

For the last 5 years of my life, my mental health has not been ideal. I run into bouts of panic, get fairly severe pains in my brain when I'm short even a small amount of sleep, and get panic and dizzyness/foggyness/ETC. option if I ingest certain things (marijuana, alcohol, coffee for instance).
I think this is probably more of a point of inquiry as opposed to something fixable as I very much appreciate the complexity of the human brain, but I guess I'm just wondering what modern medical science would say is the problem.Here's the medical history that I think potentially brought upon this:
Earlier than 5 years ago I was in extremely good shape both physically and mentally. I would stay up all night with very little sleep, I could drink copious amount of coffee or alcohol and feel great, and generally would feel good most of the time.
Roughly 5 years ago I went to Las Vegas, did a lot of drugs (marijuana, cocaine, ectacy, alcohol, tobacco) and the very next day, I felt perfectly fine. At around 3 or 4 PM (hadn't consumed drugs in roughly 20 hours at that point) something in my brain started to feel weird. I started to feel a panic - a weird sensation that I can't describe any other way to this day other than "it was the most miserable thing I could imagine feeling, it felt like I was going to die". This feeling continued into the next few days. Over the course of the next few months it slowly went away, but not entirely. The fog and dizzyness remained, and for years I was simply not myself. I couldn't smoke marijuana (something I previously enjoyed a few times a week), I couldn't drink alcohol, and I couldn't drink coffee.
So my question is... what the heck happened? Is it a chemical imbalance? (Do brains get chemical imbalances...) Could it be a hormone thing? Could the drugs have caused physical, irreparable (or possibly not irreparable but just EXTREMELY slow healing) brain damage?
Another component that I know sounds silly but who knows.. up until that point I had no allergies. I was having stomach pains for years prior to that and was taking a PPI. Every day I took 2 prilosec, waited an hour, ate an extremely unhealthy breakfast croissant from 7-11 that was made up almost entirely of what I can only imagine is the worst form of enriched flour that exists. When I came back from the Vegas trip, I was extremely allergic to gluten and to this day have to avoid anything with flour or that has come in contact with flour else I bring about bouts of panic/dizzyness/foggyness/ETC.Thanks so much in advance,
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It is highly unlikely that using substances in a short-period of time would cause any type of brain damage, but if you used illicit substances regularly for a long period of time than yes this can cause long-term and possibly permanent brain damage. And yes chemical imbalances do occur within the brain as that is a common cause for most mental health disorders, and what you are experiencing sounds like a dissociative disorder like Depersonalization/Derealization. Overall I would say that the long-term illicit substance use and the short-term excess in Las Vegas most likely contributed to you developing a mental health disorder in which you should seek treatment with a psychiatrist immediately.