Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

My daughter-in law has severed relations with her whole family

Customer Question

My daughter-in law has severed relations with her whole family for 10 years and now, at Christmas Eve gathering with my family, I sat beside her on the sofa and she jumped up and left both me and her husband, my son. 2 weeks later my son came over, alone, and said I had offended Gail just like her family had done years ago... I came too close to her. My son asked me to ask forgiveness, which I had to do via letter for she would not talk to me. My son gave me a kiss as he left that day so I know he does not know why she was offended. A nurse told me she may have post menopausal psychotic problems. Can you help me by printing the possible reason for her inability to let women get close to her. I say women because her family was all sisters. Sincerely
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having these issues with your daughter in law, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Unfortunately there are literally dozens of reasons as to why she is behaving this way towards you and her family, or specifically women, and I cannot narrow down the reason without a full face to face assessment. It could be that she has a personality disorder that has become more prominent in the last 10-15 years, or it may be a type of psychotic or mood disorder due to perimenopause/menopause that could cause her to misread situations. No matter the cause, it does not really make a difference because as long as she is not seeking treatment for these behavioral issues than they will continue. She needs to seek treatment as soon as possible to help lessen these behavioral problems and to help her regain a better relationship with her family, you, and your son.