Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I have PTSD due to severe trauma as a child. I recently cut off all co

Customer Question

I have PTSD due to severe trauma as a child. I recently cut off all contact with my Mother and Sister because they are malignant narcissists & I finally realize the harm they have done to me throughout my life.
I am now having debilitating flashbacks & nightmares. I also have agoraphobia. I am a 64 year old high functioning woman. I feel like I am going crazy and I need help!
Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for writing to us. My name is ***** ***** 'd like to help. I am sorry you are having these challenges right now. Based on your description and the flare in your PTSD, treatment under the care of a mental health professional is warranted to help you get your life back. Cognitive behavioral therapy is the best treatment for PTSD. Would you consider seeking out therapy at this time? Can i help you locate someone in your area who may be able to walk beside you as you get help? -Leah
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have agoraphobia.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like to work with a new Expert, please.Thank you.Sally
I understand. That makes it hard to think about leaving the house to seek therapy. Home-based counselling may be an option for you. Have you ever looked into this? My concern is that if you continue to stay in your house without investing in efforts to leave, you will continue to suffer and your symptoms may actually get worse. For agoraphobia as well as most other anxieties (including PTSD), gradual exposure to things that make us fearful is the way to lessen our response to them thus making them less controlling in our lives. To overcome your agoraphobia, you must seek ways to push yourself by exposing yourself to leaving your home. For instance, start small. Open your front door, and stand there. Face the discomfort head on. Gradually increase to leaving your front door. Force yourself further and further from the comfort of your home until you are able to sit in your car. Eventually, drive you car to a destination but stay in your car and observe. Continue on with these gradual pushes and you will gain control over the agoraphobia. The key is to aim for 60-920 minutes of exposure to your fears every day. The intensity of the exposure is not as important as the duration, so investing time in overcoming small obstacles to leaving your home is considered a success. When you find your anxiety lessened, you can move forward trying something more difficult. This is not easy but it can be done. If you'd like, i can try to find someone in your zip-code who offers home-based counseling, although this is not always an easy service to locate. If you'd like me to try, let me know your zip code... -Leah
Sally, I just saw that you'd like a new expert. Please read my last response but if you'd like the support of someone else, I will opt out. -Leah
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like the help of someone who treats trauma and ptsd. Also, I do go out all the time, with my husband. I don't want to set up counseling somewhere because I know that I won't go due to my agoraphobia.Also, I see that I was charged by you for services rendered although I requested a different counselor. Please do not charge me since I did not accept you as the one to help me.Thank you.Sally
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you refund the money that was given to you? I need that to be available for the one who will help me.Thank youSally
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is what I got in email:"This is your confirmation that you have now been charged for the remaining balance due of: $37 on your card ending in the last four digits: 9160"Have you charged me, I need to know what the status of funds are.Thank you.Sally
Hello, i am not sure why you received that but I will flag customer service. You should not be charged the full amount unless you rate the expert which you had not. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 5 months ago.
HI, I have received your request for a different Expert with PTSD experience, your question is open to other Experts now. Thank you for your patience.
Camille - Moderator
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 5 months ago.
Hi Sally, I am sorry to hear of the pain you are in right now. I am here to listen and support you. Your are a high functioning woman that does get out even with the agoraphobia but right now the flashbacks are torturous. Has there been any trigger recently that has brought them back so intensely right now or have they always been this intense and you are just now reaching out for support? What kind of support are you looking for here with me? What grounding techniques if any do you employ when you are going through these very painful and scary flashbacks? Let's start here and begin our chat.Jen
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First, do you have experience with PTSD and severe childhood trauma?
I have worked in social work for 26 years and have experience working with those whom have suffered trauma and ptsd. I should also mention that this site is not about giving therapy, but rather support and guidelines for questions you may have. If we feel that therapy would be helpful we will always make that suggestion.