Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC

I have a 35 year old nephew that lives with my husband and

Customer Question

I have a 35 year old nephew that lives with my husband and myself. He is bipolar and add. He has hit rock bottom. Now wants to die, but doesn't really. He has been seeing a mental health doctor and says that antidepressants cause him to be phycodic .
What can I do to help him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. thee are three key components to treating bipolar disorder: 1). medication management first and foremost. bipolar is a biochemical disorder and the "effective" medication to minimize and/or manage symptoms is crucial.This is a process for most individuals and involves a lot of trial and error. It sounds like your nephews medication needs to be reevaluated either by this treating doctor or a new one. He should not be feeling this level of depression on medication and/or feel "psychotic." Oftentimes individuals with bipolar d/o do not like to take medication because it dulls or eliminates the manic part of the d/o which is welcomed by many because of the euphoric high they often feel. In either case it is important to stress to your nephew how important it is to continue the journey and work closely with his prescribing doctor to feel better than he is now. 2). psychotherapy with a therapist or psychologist who will help him to be as healthy and strong emotionally and psychologically so that he can manage the bipolar symptoms when they may arise. This person is an important part of his team and will teach your nephew to be accountable to managing the bipolar and all other aspects of being emotionally and psychologically healthy. 3). Lifetyle management. It is important to your nephew to manage day to day living decisions such as getting plenty of rest, not drinking stimulating beverages, getting really good nutrition and also plenty of exercise daily to discharge internal energy to name a few. since he lives with you this can definitely be an area to give him lots of role modeling and support. Bipolar is a life long disorder and can negatively impact a persons life significantly if not managed with these three components. There is also an online therapeutic "class" and support network he can access and you can participate with him that will empower him to have a comprehensive plan and strategies to deal with his bipolar d/o. It is called BiPolar In Order and is given by the BiPolar Advantage Institute. Sorry my answer is so long and took so long, but I know you are concerned with your nephews well being and I hope this information helps you. sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC