Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

I have 4 children 11, 7, 6 and 4. Two older boys two younger

Customer Question

I have 4 children 11, 7, 6 and 4. Two older boys two younger girls. My children have been playing with two neighborhood families. Family A has three kids boys 11 and 8 girl 7. Family b has one eight year old boy. Recently things have come up that the eight year old boys from families A and B have been having sex with family a's 7 year old daughter. After a short break maybe a week the kids have been coming back around asking to play with my children. I aloud them to play ouside as there were other neighbourhood kids here as well. Family A's 8 year old boy kept asking to play with my 4 year old daughter. She was inside with me. At this point I'm unsure if I should let my kids play with these children and how I handle this situation.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in private practice in New York state. Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer on behalf of your daughter. If you can verify that the situation you described is actually happening then you must take the safety and well being of ALL your children very seriously. The 8 year old boys although very young could do some serious psychological damage to your 3 younger children if they are acting out sexually and/or talking about sex. And if in fact they are being sexual with this 7 year old it will put your 11 year old son in a difficult bind because of course, he would know this isn't appropriate for kids to be having sex. It is disconcerting that the 8 year old was asking to play with your 4 year old given the extreme developmental differences due to the age differences. Your number one job as a parent is to keep your children safe and protect them from harm. If there is any doubt about anyone's intentions with your child you must protect her until she can protect herself. does this make sense? By the way I have worked with many children and adolescents throughout my career as a therapist. Far too many children have been traumatized because they were exposed to situations far before they were ready to handle what was happening. Does this make sense to you? Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes thank you. This is a confirmed situation as the parents in both families have come to me saying so. I think I just needed someone to reaffirm what I already knew. Thank you!
You are so welcome, my best wishes to you and your children. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. And I am here if you have any further questions. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC
You are so welcome, my best wishes to you and your children. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it, this is how we as therapists are compensated for our service to you. Thank you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC