Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I am a 22 year old male. I have been diagnosed with depression

Customer Question

I am a 22 year old male. I have been diagnosed with depression from my pcp and have been perscribed citalopram. My main issue is that I always feel like running and hiding. even with medication I have days and times I just want to give up or hide. sometimes i just want to move and disappear. it makes it difficult to get anything done. I can't keep focused or motivated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 months ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.Since how long have you been taking citalopram and at what dose are you presently .taking it ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have been on it for three months and am at 30 mg
Well, it seems like the present drug regime is ineffective to challenge and win against depression and as a result, symptoms of depression are becoming worse. I am mentioning below a revised drug regime for you which you may discuss with your doctor and hopefully this new drug regime will help you to overcome depression.The new drug regime is as follows.Raise the dose of citalopram to 40 mg per day.Add a mood stabilizer drug like lamotrigine at dose of 25 mg per day or quetiapine at dose of 25 mg per day, Addition of a a mood stabilszer will give the anti depressant citalopram the much needed sting to win against depression. I hope this helps.Wish you a speedy recovery. Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I declined 40 mg because the drug is affecting my memory and the speed I think and react.
Ok then replace citalopram 30 mg with lexapro 20 mg which is not only more effective anti depressant out of the two but also safer and since these two belong to the same class so a direct switch over from 30 mg citalopram to 20 mg lexapro will be possible without any problem. Add to this the already mentioned one of the two mood stabilisers.I hope this helps.Please kindly leave a positive rating if you are satisfied. Regards