Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am taking amisulpride 50 mg at night and morning. Aripriprazole

Customer Question

I am taking amisulpride 50 mg at night and morning. Aripriprazole 1.25mg morning. Planning ro crosstaper to arip as per doctkr. I havent been able to sleep properly for a month.i am also taking 2mg lorazepam at night. I fall asleep at 10 and wake up at 1.is this because of amisulpride being taken this way. I wanto stop med as they r not helpful to me.what do i do. I am planning to take just 1 mg arip after 2 months.i want to stop this mad medication culture .
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what are your diagnoses currently? How long have you been taking the Amisulpride?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well..its quite a sad story as i am sure are so many others. In brief, iam indian who had a diagnosis of psychotic episode by a shady psychiatrist in 2006.i was started on olanzapine. Then briefly on ariprazole.then for a long time with clozapine. Then invega injection which screwed me up. Back on small doses of clizapine and amisulpride last 2 yrs.had a lot of health issues in terms of breathing and heart rate.almostdied a couple of times. I think.could have been gas. And anxiety.My diagnosis after the diagnosis of psychotic episode with paranoia made in canada were schizo typal p disorded. Schizoaffective. Schiztypal with bipolar. Bpad. Socia phobia. Traits of schizotypal . Genius.
I am at my wits end. Never had any halucinations. Notsure why i took meds for treatment, resistant schizophrenia. I Havehad ideasof references and delusion like thinking.. (that iam gifted) my delusions areok..not to distressingg and kinda fun actully.that i am gifted (not too far off)..but i though since i was highly gifted i was valuable and being protected anddesired by groups companies nations.Question is will i do ok if i taper slowly oversay 3 months .what can i expect after stopping. Have i been screwed royaly by idiot indian psychiatrists? .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did a fast taper of 25 mgclozapine and 10 mg esxitalopram in a month. .last month..did i screw up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On averagei have been sleeping disturbed? 2-3hrs for over a month now...pls help me out of tis..wiuld do anything fora goon nights restful sleep.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response and extra details about your history. It definitely sounds like you have been getting a variety of diagnoses over the years, but they all appear to surround some type of psychosis from my understanding. The good news right now is that you are young and have not been on the antipsychotic medications for that long, which means that tapering off them slowly is definitely possible. Antipsychotic medications can cause "brain shrinkage" and extrapyramidal symptoms, and these are permanent side effect, but usually occur after decades of use so that is unlikely to happen with you right now. The only down side I can see if you taper off the medications, both the Aripiprazole and the Amisulpride, is that your delusions and other symptoms can re-occur since there is no cure for any of the diagnoses you mentioned in your clinical history. Tapering off the Clozapine abruptly should be fine since you were at a very low dose (the maximum dose is around 800-900mg/day, so I highly doubt you caused any problems internally. The Escitalopram was at a moderate dose and if you stopped that medication abruptly than it is possible you may have experienced some withdrawal symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, restlessness, etc..., but this would only occur for 2-4 weeks at most. The insomnia is most likely being caused by the Amisulpride since that is a common side effect of this medication. Your doctor can either slowly taper you off the Amisulpride, switch you to another atypical antipsychotic, and/or add a sleep aid to your nightly regimen in addition to the Lorazepam
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there a way to time these medications so i can get a good nights sleep.for example i have read that amisulpride activates you within 2-3 hrs of ingestion when in small doses it has strong antidepressant properties...so maybe thats why i am waking up energetic after 3 hrs of sleep. What about taking the 100 mg or 80mg amisulpride in morning and 1.25 mg ariprazole in morning. This eay by 11pm amisulpride might have gone although small amounts af arip will remain.then i take lora and sleep.does that make sense
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have high prolactin and cholesterol thanks to amosulprife
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
If you take the Amisulpride in the morning only or in the morning and mid-afternoon in divided doses, it is possible it will not cause insomnia, but there is no way to be certain as some people are sensitive to that medication and the insomnia may be persistent for as long as you take the medication.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know a friend named val resh who is famous in india.she is a schizophric using no meds. For mei may hve psychosis (unlikely) of i stop meds. My aggression hppens only in family context and when my psychosi i supressed. Cant i liveout ahealthylifewith the odd delusion or two. Iam not a violent person.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
The question of living out your life with a delusion is up to you as some find it debilitating to their daily life and social function, while others do not. All I can tell you is that without the medications, the delusions will most likely re-occur for you, but you have to decide if you can "live" with them or not. In addition, many people with psychotic symptoms will notice that they will worsen as they get older so while you may have delusions right now, they can worsen, and other potential psychotic symptoms could occur in the future if you are not going to use any medication.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also ...these delusions of giftedness..feeling special..important. wanted ..people / countries going to great length protecting me ..slight chances of harm from envious or worried people/countries ...dont all of these interplay from the childhood i had. Abusive and neglecting and distant parents. I feel i already know the psychological etiology of my condition. I just wish my psychiatrists could feel/know the same.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
Delusions can occur from past trauma or from another disorder, I cannot tell you what is the cause without a face to face assessment unfortunately. Either way, we treat the delusions the same way despite the cause. *Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Btwi have this episodicslly..and that too when i went off meds cold turkey. Another doubt is sincei have been medicated so long....supposemy brain has healed and psychosis is resolved..will jitbeing on these chemicals for so long cause physical addiction...wouldi hve to take small mounts oftheses drugs for the restof my life or will a professional patient taper assure that i can relive witjout drigs.i know i am asking for assurance no one can give...but maybemy chnces??
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
Only the Lorazepam is a physically addictive medication, the others are not. If you go off the antipsychotics for 12 months and you no longer have any delusions than typically you would be considered in a sustained remission from your psychosis. If you talk to your psychiatrist about tapering off all of the medications, you will be given a set schedule to limit any potential withdrawal symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also had a incest fantasy since 14...i think that was unhealthy..i still have abit of it...psychologists say fantasies are healthy..but i dont think being obesessed about this fantasy for so long is healthy iam 29 now and still have this mother son incest fantasy. Will it go away.should it go away.it gives me a high..is it whats keeping me from developing and starting a relationship and a family.how do i kick the addiction? I feel bit tortured by it and wodering if thats adding to my sleep troubles.its complicated.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
This is different than your original question and per JA rules you will have to open up a new question thread, but because you did not know the rules I will answer it here for you. Incest fantasies can be considered unhealthy if you find them to be obsessive and debilitating to your personal life and development. The only way to treat these fantasies would be with therapy, preferably Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). *Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my primary question was what i have to do to taper off the medications. what supportive measures could i take while withdrawing, what local resources could i use(i have already identified that, but my parents need to act fast since i cant go on much longer without supportive measures)? what can be done to convince my parents who are unsure and ignorant about the scope of psychiatry and its limitations, if i have to withdraw since i am dependent on them financially. can an email be drafted by a third person (you? a mediator?) to let them know of the positive effects of withdrawal and alternatives to western psychiatry practiced by underqualified indian doctors. can you support me and be an advocate for positive changes in my life at this critical juncture of my life. i am 29, unmarried, 127kgs, prolactin , cholesterol off the charts, breathlesness, heart irregularities, fatigued, stressed, sleepless, unwell throughout the day, unable to work. all i need is a bit of positive encouragement,love and rest to get better.i am positive that a safe taper will be successful in my case and i can live drug free (again i understand how many people need medicine for life, but i luckily fall under the category which has a good chance of recovery.) . the only thing that went wrong is a forced(illegal?) hospitalization under tortorous condition at an indian mental hospital that my father put me in for a month following bad advice by psychiatrist. i dont even have the energy to sue even though a lawyer was willing. i couldnt sleep for a month here and worry that permanent damage has been done. a psychiatrist has told me the same. all in all psychiatry has ruined my life, ripped apart my family and i dont expect to live for a few more years. add to this i have a rare cancer (CTCL-mycosis fungoides) that i am not receiving any treatment for. i stuck on to psychiatry for 10 yrs. now would be a really good time to bail. so for me the first priority is to get admitted at a ayurveda inpatient facility, where they can help me with stress, insomnia, obesity and there is even ayurvedic psychiatry which i was a bit skeptial about but looks promising. to say ayurveda is inferior to western medicene would be very diffficult for me considering my experience.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i thing replacing psychiatry would mean adding a host of supportive measures perhaps throughout life....i am guessing this would involve in the long term ayurvedic treatment as op, psychological coounselling/therapy, getting justice for human rights violations by Sacred heart hospital, paynkulam which is famous for torturing patients. keeping parents at a safe distance, some kind of assurance of no hurt from parents and police who have abused me. at this point i dont even know how to approach the violations to my body and mind that has gone through over last 10 yrs
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
iam sorry if i am giving you a lot to deal with but i have been through a lot.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
most of the information you have given me so far is something i already know. sorry it took long to come to the crux of the matter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
btw except for a day i have been taking medications , although the timing of consumption is a bit off. the new doc said he is doing a crooss taper to arip. hope it works out but sleep is an issue.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
I unfortunately cannot tell you how to taper off the medications since I am not your doctor and that would be unethical. As for supportive measures, you could consider Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and the natural supplements of St. Johns Wort, Valerian Root, or Picamilon may be helpful in lessening any potential withdrawal symptoms, but this is only theoretical as there have been no major studies in this area and there are no natural supplements that can simulate an antipsychotic medication. Also the best way to avoid withdrawal symptoms would be to taper off the medication slowly by reducing the dose every week. As for ayurveda, obviously that is not something taught main stream in the United States, so I cannot comment on it, but I do not think there is any harm in trying it and if it works that is great, but if it does not work than you have ruled it out and can try other treatments. I cannot be a mediator or advocate for you as this is only a Q&A website. As for your parents, you can see other treatment specialists for your issues and have them talk to your parents about why "their" particular may be a better fit for you and then your parents can ask any questions they have regarding the treatment you choose instead of the medications so that they are well-informed.