LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience

I've been reading some information online about something that's

Customer Question

I've been reading some information online about something that's been going on in my life for a long time and am not sure how to begin to seek help. How do I know if I should start with a therapist or psychiatrist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. If you'd like to give me more specifics about your situation, that may be helpful. However, i will say that from a general perspective, talking to a counselor can be a very effective way to gain insight and confront problems. Counselors can become very valuable members of people's team as they walk besides you on your journey to resolve interpersonal issues. The nice thing about therapy is that there is no commitments - if you attempt to go and find it to not be helpful to you, you can always stop. But in my experience as a counselor, nearly everyone can gain something from talking to someone who regards ***** ***** and without judgement. I love to see my patients leave my office brighter than when they came in even if we do face some tough topics together. So in my opinion, if you are considering therapy, go for it. You may not have much to lose but potentially have a lot to gain. If you need help locating a therapist in your area, try going to and using their "Find a therapist" link at the top of the page. This will help you narrow down a therapist who you think would be a good match for you right from the start (and hopefully takes your insurance). If you do happen to connect with a therapist and wind up questioning whether or not they are a good match for you after your first or second session, my advice is to try a different counselor. Connection with your counselor is critical to growth so please don't waste your time trying to engage or force a relationship if it is not naturally there. Instead, make the efforts to find someone you click with and you will likely find it beneficial from very early on. Hope this helps! -Leah
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For many years I have been having periods where I will eat very large amounts of food in short period of time. When I say large I mean thousands of calories at one time. I am so mad at myself when this happens but it's something that I feel no control over.
It sounds like you may suffer from a binge eating disorder which definitely warrants treatment by a counselor. You can get help and overcome this issue! i would definitely give therapy a try. if you do go to to locate someone, eating disorders is one of the "issues" you can check to see who in your area treats it. I commend you on replying here as this was a great first step to you in overcoming this and getting yourself to a healthy place where you no longer inflict this pain on yourself. It is true that with the right help, you can heal from this. There will be work involved to get there, but you most certainly can do it and do not have to do it alone. -Leah
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I was reading about binge eating disorder in a way it was a little comforting. I felt like wow this is exactly how I feel. I worry about when I talk to someone they won't help. That they will say I need to control it. That I'm just overeating and need to count calories and watch what I eat. My concerns are becoming physical as well as I've gained a lot of weight especially over the past 5 years. The times of bingeing have become more frequent and I'm feeling more out of control with it.
Hello and sorry for the delay. I want to assure that the role and duty of a counselor is to provide non-judgmental and compassionate care to the patients we treat. Your issue is actually fairly common as well, so especially if you connect with someone who has experience with eating disorders, you can rest assured they understand your struggle and will be a lifeline in helping you learn to overcome this. It will not be a imply "control yourself" approach at all, I promise you that. instead, they will help you look at the behavior to come to understand the reasons why it is happening. they will treat the problem not just the disorder. Especially if this is becoming more frequent, now is the perfect time to seek supportive help. you can do it! -Leah