neuromd2012, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified in Neurology and Psychiatry.

I'm beginning to have a somewhat severe issue with death anxiety.

Customer Question

I'm beginning to have a somewhat severe issue with death anxiety. I'm 29 years old, I've always wanted to travel to Italy and this year it seems my wish will come true. My husband and in laws have planned a trip to Rome for my 30th birthday. I should be so happy, right?? While I am excited, my excitement is often overshadowed by my anxiety of dying on the way, while there in Rome or on the way home. I see myself dying in a plane crash (I've never flown before and I'm terrified). I can't see myself there, visiting all the sites and doing all of the things that have been planned by my family. I feel like once I leave home, I'll never make it back. Why am I so afraid? Why can't I imagine anything but death, especially on the plane? I'm normally a fairly happy person. Please help me understand
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  neuromd2012 replied 6 months ago.
Hello Welcome to JA. Simplistically, from here online, I would say your fear of flying has evolved to include many other aspects of this trip, your relationship with family members, internal insecurities, etc. My suggestion is to consider a desensitization treatment as prescribed by a psychologist. He/she can show you some techniques for stress reduction that you can practice prior to the flight, it will prepare you for that event if it is not coming up too soon. Get back to me to discuss this further, there are also medications you can take. Acutely for the flight, you can use a benzodiazepine from your doctor, or on a more chronic basis, an SSRI will help you deal with phobias if you have others. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****