Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

As a psychiatrist do you believe that abilify causes gambling addic

Customer Question

Hi As a psychiatrist do you believe that abilify causes gambling addiction as a patient I know it does, but i just wanted your humble views regarding this...
Also would you view pathological gambling worse than psychosis itself in my experience it is.
is their medication to stop pathological gambling Ive heard of an antidepressant but the psychiatrist i see won't let me try them even though they are cheap. Im on clopixal at the moment but feel they are still giving me ability is clopixal always a yellow substance please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It has been recently linked that Abilify may cause compulsive behaviors, such as addiction to gambling, so yes it can definitely cause a gambling addiction for some people, but this is considerably rare. There is no medication that is used to effectively treat a gambling addiction; the medications like an antidepressant, benzodiazepine, or a mood stabilizer may help lessen underlying causes of a gambling addiction, such as depression or anxiety, but the medication will not treat gambling addiction itself. The only firm treatment for a gambling addiction is through therapy, more specifically Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). As for if gambling addiction is worse than a psychosis, that is impossible to say as the severity of each can be different, but generally mental health professionals view psychosis as the more severe disorder.