Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have schizophrenia and take things literally almost all the

Customer Question

I have schizophrenia and take things literally almost all the time. Is this unusual? Is my taking things literally a part of my schizophrenia?
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My taking things literally has affected me so that I am very unassertive and not fully responsible. It is causing me to make major social mistakes at work.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. What you are describing is quite common with individuals who have a diagnosis of Schizophrenia as they tend to have poor social skills and also have poor top-down processing. Most likely this issue of taking things literally will be a permanent fixture of your disposition, but Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) may help to lessen the impact of this issue.