Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I'm worried I might have a personality disorder and I can't feel anything at the

Customer Question

I'm worried I might have a personality disorder and I can't feel anything at the moment. I was diagnosed with OCD and depression a few years back but this feels different. I keep thinking I am going to hurt my niece or any young children but I just don't feel anything. I can't feel anything. I'm worried but I don't feel emotional about it.
When I was young (I'm 22 now) I used to abuse my young cousins - pinching them and getting pleasure from doing so and I also remember attacking our dog and getting pleasure from it. I don't want to turn out into a psychopath or sociopath but I fear I already am.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't really know, I'm just at a loss at the moment. I can't feel anything and I keep thinking back to things I've done in the past. I'm convinced I have a personality disorder.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
It is doubtful that you have a personality disorder as individuals with a personality disorder, such as Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) or Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), are not concerned about their behavior like you are. Most likely this is part of your OCD and Depression causing you increased worry and self-blame. If you want confirmation though, you can request a personality assessment such as the MMPI-2, MCMI-III, or the PAI from your psychologist as these can confirm if you have a personality disorder or not.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't feel anything at the moment. I want to be able to connect with other people but I just can't.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
Individuals with chronic depression also have an inability to connect with others, so like I said it is possible the depression is causing this. In order to determine the cause, a full assessment should be taken and then depending on the diagnoses, a medication adjustment will need to be made