Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am taking zanax, sertraline, librax and mirtazapine.

Customer Question

I am taking zanax, sertraline, librax and mirtazapine. Should I be
taking valacyclovir for herpes from having cold sores when I was young.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 7 months ago.
Well, there's nothing prohibiting you from taking Valacyclovir with those medications. It doesn't interact with them, if that's your main question. That said, several of these drugs are metabolized by the liver. Valacyclovir, in particular, can really be hard on the renal system. So, if it's not necessary, it seems like it would be better not to take it. In general, Valcyclovir is used by those who have recurrent outbreaks (usually of genital herpes) to the point that it makes functioning difficult. I'd never recommend it for the treatment or prevention of cold sores - or even for genital herpes - unless the outbreaks are frequent and very painful. Additionally, Valcylovir can really upset the stomach - so if you're taking meds for ulcers, it might be best to skip it for that reason too.
This advice would be the same if you're worried about developing shingles. There is a shingles vaccine that is more effective (and safer) that's recommended. Valcyclovir is taken to shorten the duration of the shingles outbreak, but not to prevent it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will be waiting for the phone call.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It appears the previous expert opted out of this question, do you still require assistance?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.