Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have been very anxious. My doctor prescribed ativan. I

Customer Question

I have been very anxious. My doctor prescribed ativan. I seem to cry and cry after taking it and don't remember that happening with other tranquillizers. Do the vary in this type affect. I have taken Valium and one or two others over the years and never had this happen.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately there is the possibility of a benzodiazepine, like Ativan, can cause depressive symptoms for certain individuals, especially in the elderly as they are more sensitive to its effects. If you are having crying spells with this medication, than most likely you are having a paradoxical effect and you should tell your doctor so he/she can switch you to another medication. Ativan is just a medication that does not agree with your body chemistry, so switching to another anti-anxiety medication would be the most prudent action.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My question basically was might another brand be better for me
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
It is doubtful that another brand or generic form of Ativan would prove more beneficial since the brand name and generic versions of Ativan (Lorazepam) are near identical. It would be better to switch to another benzodiazepine like Valium, Xanax, or Klonopin which should not have this side effect of crying spells.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue. *Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.