Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My husband either doesn't listen to what I am saying or is

Customer Question

My husband either doesn't listen to what I am saying or is constantly argumentative and has to negate everything I say when in conversations. When I have to tell him about appointments/commitments, he never listens or remembers. Half the time I say something I have to repeat myself 3 or more times before he realizes I said anything. He then says I am the one starting fights. We don't really have a sex life anymore either. I don't want to. I am so fed up with his behavior...
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Psychologist before I connect you two?
Customer: This has been a constant struggle for the past 7 years, manifesting itself in different ways
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was looking for ways to navigate this
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
There is not much you can do unfortunately since you are only in control of your behavior and he is the only one in control of his behavior; so he has to decide to make more of an effort in terms of repairing this marriage as you cannot do it alone. You have basically three options: 1. You can try to suggest couples therapy to help resolve your differences and work on making compromises for both of you. 2. You can bear his behavior and try to push on through it no matter how hurtful it is to you or how much you are frustrated by him (this is not the best option and usually will not work). 3. You can consider a trial separation and see if this wakes him up to make better choices in terms of your feelings and this marriage. And if he does not than you may have to consider moving forward with a divorce.