Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My 11 year old son seems to be addicted to computer porn...

Customer Question

My 11 year old son seems to be addicted to computer porn... He's been caught 3 times now... 1st time we talked, explained why it wasn't appropriate... 2nd time (a month later when he got his computer back) I hit the roof and punished him severely... Took away all screens/games/extra chores etc... Now tonight I caught him again and I don't know what to do... Should I increase the punishment, or am I way off base???
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Psychologist before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it...
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Punishment typically will only make things worse in the long-run regarding his sexual development so I would not recommend that you increase the level of punishment. I am not sure if your son is actually addicted to pornography considering he has only been caught three times; and addiction will severely affect his mental well being, his daily life activities, and will consume his thoughts and actions...so far that has not been presented here. Looking at pornography is considered a normal part of child and adolescent sexual development so it is not abnormal for him to be doing this, but I understand the moral issues at bay here. I would recommend considering family therapy so that his issues can be addressed in a familial therapeutic environment for support and understand about this issue. At this point more stringent therapy involving pornographic addiction seems to be be too early to consider so family therapy would be a better and less intense step.