Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I have a question about my forgetfulness. Im constantly

Customer Question

Hello. I have a question about my forgetfulness. Im constantly losing my keys, wallet, phone. You name it. Not just once in a while but multiple times a day. I also tend to forget about any appointments or places I need to be unless my husband reminds me to check our planner. I also have a problem of zoning out. If I'm talking to my mom on the phone I just zone out and she has to yell to get my attention again. It's really beginning to take a toll on me and my ability to care for my kids.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask for how long has this been an issue for you? Are you taking any psychotropic medications currently? Have you been feeling more anxiety or stress recently?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I am still taking prenatal vitamins do to my daughter being breastfed. But no other medicines. And the only stressors right now is a move. But my husbands employer is taking care of movers and expenses so that doesn't stress me. And my husband just pointed out that if something interests me I tend to zone in on it. And I tune everything else out.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
Most likely you have a underperforming working memory and you may just be naturally forgetful. Given your age, dementia cannot be considered, and most likely anxiety/stress is not causing this forgetfulness. So overall it just sounds like your ability to focus on multiple tasks is not as efficient as others and most likely this is a natural state of how your mind works. You may be able to improve upon your working memory through therapy with a neuropsychologist, but if your concern is that this is a sign of something greater than you can be rest assured as that is unlikely.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well in terms of memory. If it's something I really enjoy (like knitting) I can easily remember the pattern of stitches I need to complete a piece. But when it come to remembering my ID. Nope.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
It just sounds like this is your baseline as some people are more easily forgetful and others have an eidetic memory.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
The other possibility, and this is very very rare, would be that you have suffered some type of traumatic brain injury to the temporal lobe that can cause memory issues, but these memory issues would be universal and not just for certain tasks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But wouldn't I be forgetful on all things? Cause I can remember lots of kinda Trivial things. I can tell you word for word what the entry for gangrene was in my encyclopedia from 5th grade. But it's hel remembering to grab the diaper bag.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
Yes, this is why I said memory issues caused by a TBI would be universal. While a working memory deficiency, such as what you would have can cause these slight memory and focus impairments, but it is not caused by any abnormality and is just your natural baseline.