Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I'm finding it so difficult to let go of my ex. we are getting

Customer Question

I'm finding it so difficult to let go of my ex. we are getting divorced, her choice, but I keep getting mixed signals from her every time I start to back off and move just one step forward, today she said we will always be soul friends in an email and that she is not looking for a new man just want to be by herself and not married.. i have to let go and move on but it is so hard.. I have trouble not contacting her, then we I manage to not do it for a few days, she contacts me and it is usually friendly communication but it is not what I want which is to work on the 15 year marriage..
JA: OK. The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Psychologist before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of, thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. You should consider stopping all communication with your ex so that you are not tempted to reconsider the divorce which has been the pattern of your behavior so far. In addition, you may want to consider writing a letter detailing everything you want to say to her, but instead of sending the letter to her you should dispose of it in a manner that is cathartic...this will help you to let go literally and figuratively. Another technique you can consider would be a thought blocking technique where you wear a rubber band 24/7 and every time you think about her than you snap the rubber band. The mild pain will be a reminder for you to not communicate or think about her and this will help you to move forward. If all else fails than you should consider entering into therapy to help you move forward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 1 year ago.
I didn't realize Dr. Z was already speaking with you - I'll opt out to give him a chance to reply further. Best of luck to you!