Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My sister's daughter has had tantrums all her life. Recently they have become wo

Customer Question

Hi, my sister's daughter has had tantrums all her life. Recently they have become worse, once a day and really bad. Andrea (my sis) has said she really seems to want a fight with someone. The family are going thru a lot, my sister recently had a heart transplant, she is doing ok recovering but it will take a while. Andrea is on drugs which make her emotional and doesn't need daily tantrums. Andrea often seems unwell and weak (this is what the daughter sees a lot). There is a brother also, who copies the daughter with emotional explosiveness.The family will move to a new suburb soon also. A lot of changes happening. The daughter is very close to Andrea. Any advice would be great.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It is possible that the child may be going through episodes of either Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) or ADHD from what you described and the severity of it. I would recommend that the child be examined by a Child Psychiatrist to determine the proper diagnosis and treatment.