Dr-A-Greene, Psychologist
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist

I don't feel like my psychiatrist is listening to me. I've

Customer Question

I don't feel like my psychiatrist is listening to me. I've been struggling my whole life on an emotional level. I have an idea of what's wrong with me but I don't think it's even being entertained. Whether he thinks I'm after drugs, trying to undermine him, or am just some idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about I'm not sure. All I know is the medication he is prescribing is not quite as effective as I would've hoped (if it's effective at all, honestly I can't really tell), and I feel like we're going down the wrong path treatment-wise.
I don't want him to agree with me, I just want him to look into it. Any suggestions? Or should I just I find another therapist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr-A-Greene replied 6 months ago.
This is a tough one - sometimes treatment providers try to do what they believe is the right thing and they're so sure about their conclusions that it feels like they're not listening. This can be very hard to deal with, especially if you feel they're trying to help.That said, your psychiatrist is being hired and paid by you - he's your employee! That means that he should be doing his best to validate your feelings and give creedence to what you're saying. If you feel as though your ideas/emotions are being ignored, then it sounds like there are two options: 1) tell your psychiatrist exactly how you feel. Tell him that you feel ignored and like he finds your ideas unimportant. Listen to his response and judge whether or not you'd like to continue with him. OR 2) just cut the cord now and go to another professional that you have a great rapport with. Personally, I think that a patient and their therapist should always have an alliance - you should always feel like they're on your side and listening to you. Even if they don't agree, they should validate what you say, you know? Either way, I believe you should stand up for yourself and seek a better quality of treatment.