DrThomasMD, Doctor
Experience:  MD, BA psychology, Emphasis on addictions, depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc.

My sister is very depressed. She finds it difficult to do

Customer Question

My sister is very depressed. She finds it difficult to do anything. She was becoming overwhelmed at work and made mistakes (This is highly unusual for her). She had to retire.
She was on medication, but now her GP refuses to renew them. It is hard for her to find a psychiatrist who takes Medicare. Her GP suggested someone. She wants her to commit to 2 days a week sessions. She will not renew her meds until she knows her. My sister is worried that she will have to go for a long time before she gets meds. The thing is that she is the only Dr. willing to help.
My sister is losing weight and her clothes no longer fit. She said she perspires all day. She is worried about money. She used her 401K to pay college and graduate school for her son. I suggested downsizing, but she cannot handle cleaning things out and getting a realtor.
She is trying to keep this situation from her son and has to put on a a false face and look like everything is fine. She is terrified for him to find out. She wears a robe all day.
Her husband is of no use. He cannot make decisions and find help for her. She is trying to seem more upbeat when he is home because he has to go to work and doesn't want to upset him.
Can you help me find someone in the Boston area that can help her. I live in Florida, but going to see her this week. I don't know what to do. I'm the only one that can try to find help. Her husband is not capable. She was always the strong, take charge one in her family.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 6 months ago.
HelloShe needs to see a psychiatrist.It is not the case that a psychiatrist will take weeks to prescribe meds.He/she might do this after the first visit, and, if needed is bound to do so.I would stop trying to control the choice, and urge your sister to go forward with the referral.We do not give personal recommendations for referrals on this site, but in case her new doctor does not work out, here is a list of psychiatrists in the area who are board certified. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.