Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

My name is ***** *****. My Dr switched me from Effexor

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** *****. My Dr switched me from Effexor XL to Wellbutrin XL. Both are the lowest dose. Are there side effect switching immediately from one to the other?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I switched 3 days ago and today I ve been experiencing dizziness and bad insomnia. Can't go to sleep. Will this pass?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mental Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, how long were you taking the Effexor XL before your doctor switched you to Wellbutrin?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
4 months
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I gained over 10 lbs and was more anxious and depressed over the weight gain, so she said we'd try the Wellbutrin
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your response. You may have some minor withdrawal symptoms from switching abruptly to the Wellbutrin XL, but these should only last 1-2 weeks at most given that you were on the lowest dose at 37.5mg of the Effexor XR. In addition though the Wellbutrin is much more stimulating than the Effexor so that can cause symptoms of insomnia and dizziness for the first 4-6 weeks until your body fully adjusts to the Wellbutrin XL. Overall I would not be too worried right now as the symptoms you are having should pass over time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, just as long as this may just be temporary. Should I cut the Wellbutrin in half for a few days and gradually get to the full tablet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, the Effexor XL was 37.5 dose. Wellbutrin XL is 150 mg
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
No you definitely cannot cut the Wellbutrin XL in half because it is an extended dose, that is what the XL stands for. You cannot cut extended dose medications at all because it will disrupt the pharmacological action of the extended dose and you will get too much of the medication all at once instead of gradually within 24 hours (Wellbutrin XL lasts for 24 hours). I would just recommend being patient and giving it more time...if the initial adverse effects become too much for you than your doctor can prescribe a short-term benzodiazepine called Clonazepam that can be taken at night and will counteract these initial adverse effects.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue. *Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.