How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1377
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is having severely depression, feeling worthless,

Customer Question

My daughter is having severely depression, feeling worthless, seeking painful relationship with a guy she broke up with.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, is your daughter seeking any treatment for her depressive symptoms? And you did not ask a question in your description, so what exactly is your mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation with your daughter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she has been going to a therapist for depression for the past two years and is currently on anti depressant medication.However her symptoms have been getting worse since Janurary as she has been going through an emotionally abusive relationship with a man she was dating and she recently broke up with him. She is now saying she is worthless and may want to kill herself. She is regretting her decision to break up with him and saying she wants to get in contact with him again or kill herself this weekend.What can I do to help her? I'm not sure what to do as she is in deep pain.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
If your daughter is truly threatening to kill herself this weekend than you should consider contacting the police as emergency services will take her to the hospital for more immediate treatment and to prevent her from hurting herself. This is an emergency situation when someone states they want to hurt themselves in such a serious manner. As for what you can do to help her, I would recommend pushing her to go to the ER for emergency treatment, and in the long-run I believe she needs to contact her psychiatrist for a medication adjustment since her current medication regimen is not working. Also her therapy should probably be more intensive, so she should inquire with her therapist about either moving towards DBT therapy or to transfer to a different psychologist or therapist as this current therapist most likely is not as effective if there are still such severe depressive symptoms after two years. I know you want to help your daughter, but right now you have to continue pushing her to adjust her treatment and explore new treatment options...this is something that she and her treatment team are going to have to work on together. There is not much you can do personally besides support her and allow her to vent with you because you are not the professional treating which is why you have to keep encouraging her to work with her treatment team
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked her if she wanted to go to the hospital earlier today and she said she didn't want to. She was in ER a few years ago and said it didn't do anything, they just made her wait for hours and hours, she spoke to a psychiatrist and all they did was give her some info on a local crisis service and let her go when she said she wouldn't kill herself. So I don't know if she will voluntarily go to ER.Do you mean CBT? Her current therapist does do CBT but she said he hasn't done a lot of it lately. He is fine with day to day issues and managing depression when it's not severe but he doesn't seem to be able to give her the help she needs to overcome deeply traumatic issues of her past, or severe depression. He also can only see her once a week or every two weeks and right now I feel she needs more support than that. She says she is triggered a lot when home alone and she has been spending a lot of time home alone lately.Do you know where else she can get treatment that might be more effective for her? Where can she find a better therapist or psychologist? And can she find one that's able to meet with her and talk to her tmrw, on a Sunday or on Monday? I really think she needs a lot more support right now.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
CBT is very effective, but is is not as intensive as Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). And DBT is also very good with abusive relationships, depression, and suicidal ideations which is why this should be the next therapy modality used. Also if CBT has not resolved the depressive symptoms considerably after one year of therapy I typically question the effectiveness of the modality for that patient, which is another reason why going to DBT may be a better option for her. You can also push her to join either a group therapy session led by a therapist or a support group which are led by the peers, so there is no therapist present. Finding a new psychologist or therapist can be done using this link: But she should also contact her local hospital and/or psychiatrist to see if she can be referred to another therapist. As for finding a new therapist by tomorrow or Monday, that would take an emergency session and she would have to call individual therapists in her area to see if they accept emergency sessions so quickly.

Related Mental Health Questions