Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

We live in Australia my husband is in the Navy he has

Customer Question

Hello we live in Australia my husband is in the Navy he has been diagnosed with " Adjustment disorder with anxiety and depressed mood".
This condition is service related and liability has been accepted, however to be able to claim compensation his condition must be classed as "Permanent and stable" I believe that permanent means likely to continue indefinitely and stable means no better no worse, but what I am confused with is that he is taking Prozac and feels a slight improvement so does this mean that because he feels a bit better he us not classed as stable which means potentially no compensation for all he has been through? Can anyone shed some light on this please? Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 months ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.I am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.Well, you see if the compensation is to be given for a condition/s which is stable and permanent then unfortunately none of his diagnoses fall in that category since all of them are deemed as clinically treatable and on top of this your husband is responding to the medication prozac and feeling a little bit better. So basically speaking the condition that he has been diagnosed with does not fall in the category of being permanent and stable so as to cause the person significant decompensation. Therefore the compensation based on this criteria does not seem to follow through, however you may discuss with the concerned people in navy for any other compensation that he can get for the lack of quality of life that he has to live with during this period where in he has been suffering with this diagnosis.I hope this is clear to you as to what can be expected. Wish you all the best. Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards