Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I have been taking medicine and a sleep disorder for

Customer Question

I have been taking medicine for ADD and a sleep disorder for many years (close to 10), and I have had a wonderful psychiatrist for all those years. She just retired unexpectedly, and I have been without medicine for several months. I am on the waiting list at four offices. One of them said I'll be lucky to get in this year because of the big shortage of doctors in our part of the state. What can I do? I have been taking 40 mg of Vyvanse and 40 mg of Prozac. Without them, it is starting to affect my job and my marriage. Help!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having this difficulty getting the medication you have had in the past, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. You can talk to your primary care physician regarding the Prozac as that is not an addictive substance and most primary care doctors are okay with prescribing that medication. Given that Vyvanse is a Controlled Substance, most general practitioners are either uncomfortable or unwilling to prescribe it so you will have to see a psychiatrist for that and that may either require you to wait for the next available appointment or to travel well outside your immediate area to see a psychiatrist.