How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1377
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been taking medicine and a sleep disorder for

Customer Question

I have been taking medicine for ADD and a sleep disorder for many years (close to 10), and I have had a wonderful psychiatrist for all those years. She just retired unexpectedly, and I have been without medicine for several months. I am on the waiting list at four offices. One of them said I'll be lucky to get in this year because of the big shortage of doctors in our part of the state. What can I do? I have been taking 40 mg of Vyvanse and 40 mg of Prozac. Without them, it is starting to affect my job and my marriage. Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having this difficulty getting the medication you have had in the past, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. You can talk to your primary care physician regarding the Prozac as that is not an addictive substance and most primary care doctors are okay with prescribing that medication. Given that Vyvanse is a Controlled Substance, most general practitioners are either uncomfortable or unwilling to prescribe it so you will have to see a psychiatrist for that and that may either require you to wait for the next available appointment or to travel well outside your immediate area to see a psychiatrist.

Related Mental Health Questions