Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is in regards ***** *****

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is in regards ***** ***** anxiety and the medication I have is not working.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have had increased anxiety attacks. I get them so bad to where I can't breathe and I feel sick to my stomach. Lately they have been the worst they have ever been and the medication i took does not help at all
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mental Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what current medication and dose are you taking? Also what medications have you tried in the past?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am taking lorazepam
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
And the dose?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's 10 mg
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
10mg of Lorazepam is very high. Are you sure you got the dose or the name of the medication correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oops. It's actually 5 mg
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
That is still a high dose of a very addictive medication, I am surprised that it is not helping. Typically anything above 2-3mg/day is considered high with this medication. But if the Lorazepam is not helping you than you should discuss with your doctor about trying a combination of Clonazepam and Mirtazapine. Clonazepam is a stronger benzodiazepine, but you do not want to rely on it because of its addictive qualities, so it would be best to add an antidepressant that is non-addictive, but very effective for treating anxiety like Mirtazapine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
You are most welcome.