Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I am Adrienne.My grown daughter and I have been

Customer Question

.I am Adrienne.My grown daughter and I have been having difficulties with our relationship for sometime now. Her therapist actually told her to tell me that in her opinion from what she has heard my daughter tell her of me, that I am a narcissist. This seems very unprofessional to me? Diagnosing someone you have never spoken with? It appears that in reading the many symptoms of a narcissist that most people would have at least a few of the symptoms listed. What do you make of this Dr.?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 months ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.Well, first of all i will urge you not to become upset with the turn of events and try to calm down as patience is needed to resolve the brewing differences which are quite visible in your relationship with your daughter. Well, it is not really possible for you to know what really happened in the therapy session that yopur daughter had with her therapist and was the therapist only implying that you could have Narcissistic traits or was he / she blatantly labeling you as one, in either case it is not justified to consider someone as narcissistic on the basis of information collected from a third person and without interviewing and assessing the person concerned. So yes i agree with you that it is not ethically right for a professional to make such comments. However, it is still unknown whether these comments have really been made or is this just a frustrated rebuttal from your daughter to counter you and tell you indirectly what she thinks about you that is you do not pay heed to her opinion and try to have your own way all the time.You see instead of wasting your precious time on alleging the therapist for under the belt comments it is utmost improtant for you to try to resolve your differences with your daughter by seeking in her presence Family therapy and try to amicably find a way to get some closure to your issues which are getting out of hand.I am sure there is enough love and respect and affection left in the hearts of you two to give family therapy a genuine try and with all honesty and putting aside your personal egos you two try to bring back some happiness into each other's lives and redeem your failing relationship.I hope this makes sense.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards