Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I have been diagnosed with non epileptic seizures since 2010.

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with non epileptic seizures since 2010. I have been having them more frequently lately despite therapy a anti depressant and anxiety medication. Last week I had 8 seizures within 30 minutes usually I have symptoms before the seizure this time nothing and after I was more sore than I had ever been and my head felt like it was going to explode. Last night I had 4 seizures and when I woke up couldn't talk or understand what my husband was saying today I can talk but some things people are saying still aren't making any sense. I don't want to go to the hospital cause they don't do anything and my primary care physician is booked my therapist appointment went okay this morning so I am not sure what to do
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are struggling with these non-epileptic seizures, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. I know that this is difficult for you given that you are on an assortment of medications and therapy, but the truth is that the medication regimen is a trial and error approach as some people respond well to different medications and others do not. I would recommend continuing to work with your doctor to find a suitable medication regimen that should be helpful for you. This can mean trying different SSRI antidepressant or going to the atypical antidepressants or even TCA antidepressants. In some cases a mood stabilizer like Depakote or Lamictal are better than the antidepressants. Also using a benzodiazepine at moderate doses can be helpful in lessening anxiety/stress which can trigger these non-epileptic seizures.