Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am having an extremely difficult time with anxiety

Customer Question

I am having an extremely difficult time with anxiety for several reasons the past several months, I am bipolar. Although I started taking Temezapan 30 mg. at bed time I am still waking up several times at night and never feel rested, suffering added stress. Should I go to work and help out Monday, or will it just be added stress which would increase anxiety which is at it's peak?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.I am a psychiatrist and i wish to help.Well, i am sorry to learn about your overwhelming anxiety that you are struggling with and i empathize with you.I believe that your present drug regime needs revision because it seems to be running out of steam meaning that it is no longer as effective as before perhaps due to your body's increased tolerance / resistance against it effects which usually happens when the drug regime has been in use for a long period or when sudden unexpected stressful situation or event is forced upon.As of now i suggest that you should go to your office on Monday to help settle the work as this will not only help you to distract you from your anxiety and stress but a change in your surroundings may also help you to rejuvenate your spirits and collectively this may buy some more time for you to cope with your overwhelming anxiety until you meet with your psychiatrist and discuss possible drug regime revision. I will like to suggest that you discuss with your doctor to prescribe you Phenergan ( Promethazine hcl ) at dose of 10-25 mg to be taken at night on PRN basis that is as and when required basis that is when you are not getting sleep despite of taking your usual sleep medications. Also, i will endorse the idea of adding a potent anti anxiety drug such as escitalopram or sertraline albeit at low dose to begin with because of your underlying Bipolar condition. Any sort of increment in the dose of the mentioned drug would be done once you have tolerated the same for 10-14 days. Also ask your doctor to prescribe you either klonopin ( clonazepam ) or ativan ( lorazepam ) for PRN use in case your overwhelming anxiety is not getting relieved fand making extremely frantic.I hope that having made these many changes to your drug regime under guidance of your doctor and taking a decision to go to office tomorrow your anxiety will eventually subside and make way for peaceful days ahead.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.Take care and God Bless.Regards