Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I'm a socially inept human being, and I don't know why. When

Customer Question

I'm a socially inept human being, and I don't know why. When people talk to me, I have nothing to say back, no emotions, nothing - my mind is blank. I've been this way for as long as I can remember. I just want to be able to have a conversation with someone, or be able to talk about myself. I'm extremely indecisive, and have a hard time making day to day choices.
I'm afraid to be around other people in fear of having to interact with another person and making myself look like a fool. I'd rather not talk at all, or not even interacted in the first place for this reason. I feel no urge to communicate or sense of emotion towards my parents or siblings. I don't even know why I feel this way, I have absolutely no reason to not want to talk people, yet I feel nothing. I do REALLY want to feel something though.
I have a very hard time remembering certain things. For example, I can hear the same song 100 times but not be able to recall any of it. Most of the events in my life in the past 10 years just feels like a blur. My thoughts are often scattered and uncontrollable.
I honestly think suicide may be my only option of being cured. I've gone so long telling myself some day I'm going to be able to socialize, but it only gets worse.
I don't even know who I am anymore.
What is wrong with me? Help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It would be unethical and unprofessional to form a firm diagnosis over the internet as it takes a face to face assessment with a psychologist or psychiatrist for a diagnosis, but based on your description you could have a developmental disorder like Autism Spectrum Disorder (or Asperger's Disorder as it was previously known), a personality disorder like Avoidant Personality Disorder, or a combination of a Depressive Disorder and a Social Anxiety Disorder. Either way, a diagnosis will not be of much help at this time without treatment, so have you considered going to a psychologist or psychiatrist for treatment?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I've often considered it. Every time I've tried to call I've always given up.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 6 months ago.
I cannot tell you exactly what is wrong with you or what disorders you definitely have with just a paragraph of a description; this is why I would definitely urge you to consider seeing a psychologist as they are experts in assessment and diagnosis. With a strong clinical interview and the use of objective assessments you can get a good diagnosis and then a direction for treatment which most likely could involve a combination of therapy and/or medications depending on your preference of treatment.